SPRING LIVING OVERVIEW
Spring Living owns and operates retirement communities in Ontario and has a strategy to create a billion-dollar portfolio of midmarket retirement residences in Canada over the next 3-5 years.
Spring Living’s mission is to create warm, welcoming and secure environments for residents, foster caring connections, and provide personalized services by team members who are committed to making a significant impact every day. Spring Living’s vision is to provide unique and caring communities where everyone is supported to reach their fullest potential.
Spring Living is the Retirement Community platform of Marlin Spring, a Real Estate company that strategically acquires, develops, constructs and repositions assets throughout North America.
Reporting to the CEO, the Controller will provide corporate and operational stewardship of the assets and resources of Spring Living. The Controller will also liaise with the Marlin Spring executive and support services on project management, technology, insurance and compliance functions. The candidate is expected to be a seasoned finance professional with proven experience in controllership, accounting, planning and forecasting and business finance systems management.
– Directly oversee treasury and cash management including the creation and maintenance of effective Cash flow monitoring, forecasting and reporting for the business
· Maintain ledgers, internal controls, systems and expense management across all retirement residences
· Implement financial controls, approval limits and an internal audit program, overseeing corrective action as required
· Improve efficiencies and reduce costs across the business
· Participate in all aspects of Yardi set up and utilization including controls and policies to govern access, approvals, rates, account codes, etc.
· Provide guidance, education and expertise to the Leadership Team in the residences regarding budgets, financials, variance, Yardi utilization, procurement
· Implement and manage appropriate risk management, insurance and business continuity programs, systems and processes required to mitigate financial risk
· Complete all financial regulatory filings and audits for tax, regulatory and government agencies, liaising with the Marlin Spring support team
· Support the CFO in maintaining active and positive relationships with lenders, and the investment community, meeting the required reporting requirements and participation in financing and refinancing
· Lead the integration of the financial management of all acquisitions – AP/AR, budgets, financials, etc.
· Participate in the annual operating, capital planning and budgeting processes to support efficient capital allocation
· Provide input to monthly and quarterly financial reporting, forecasting and variance reporting for operational, capital and corporate reporting to the various stakeholders (operations, executives, board and investors)
· Liaise with vendors, and the Marlin Spring support team and legal, to execute and maintain Spring Living corporate and property level contracts on terms that optimize value and quality
· Liaise with the Marlin Spring accounting, financing, legal, acquisition and executive teams on all areas of accounting, finance, legal and procurement functions
QUALIFICATIONS AND EDUCATION
· CPA designation and university degree in business management, finance or accounting
· Minimum 5 years of overall combined accounting and finance experience (post-articling)
· Experience in accounting in senior living in Canada is preferred, but not required
· Proven success with system implementations & process optimization
· Strong knowledge of IFRS and Canadian GAAP
· Strong computer skills with MS Excel (macros, INDEX), Word, PowerPoint
· Familiarity with Yardi an asset
· Detail-oriented with strong written and verbal communication skills
· Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
· Self-motivated, creative and innovative